Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Monday, October 22, 2007

To complain or not to complain....

that is the question...the one on my mind today anyway. Bob and I discussed it some this weekend and I'm wondering, is it fundamentally wrong or sinful to complain? Is it a slap in the face to the Gracious God who has blessed my life to grumble about the difficulties or burdens I face? Or, is it a Pollyanna, stick-your-head-in-the-sand and paste a smile on your face, way of life to ignore the challenges and only acknowledge the good? We all know it's annoying, maybe that is reason enough to not engage. For professional complainers, it becomes a competition for who has the worst set of circumstances....which then breeds a victim mentality, woe is me....right?
There will be times when we as humans are sad, lonely, sorrowful, confused, and experience various forms grief because life is difficult for all of us. There are disappointments, moments of despair, times when we question, "why me?" These times help us remember we have a greater destination, and to look to heaven. They also unify us as human beings and allow us to comfort one another, because to some degree or another, we've all 'been there'. But, should those feelings be vocalized, and if so, to whom? Is there a balance to complaining? Is there a purpose? Is it acceptable if things are really bad, but inexcusable if they are only slightly bad? Or is it something to avoid at all costs?
Please, if you have some insight, fill me in! I'm perplexed....not that I'm complaining about it.
2 Corinthians 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.

Blog Archive