Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Monday, August 03, 2009

How an orphan changed my life

"Warner Bros. new horror movie Orphan proclaims that it must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own. Let me tell you about how an orphan changed my life....."
Question from Tom Davis' blog


Loving an orphan has changed me in ways that make me unrecognizable to myself as I look in the mirror. I have asked myself the question, who is the woman willing to do this? Who is the one, braver than I, taking on what my former self never could? There are too many risks, endless unknown possibilities. Who is the person walking far outside her comfort zone to give more than is convenient, to push the limits to configure and reconfigure, formulating plans to execute that require constant adjustment because she is driven, determined to make a way?

The woman I am does not care much for travel, especially by plane. Leaving all her children longer than 24 hours is beyond her comprehension. She is selfish with her time and pines away for safety, security, quietness, peace, comfort, ease. A person who does not drink or eat after her kids, hates hospitals, despises the E.R., squeals at the sight of blood does not adopt special needs kids. Not these needs.

Yet, here I am. No longer squealing, I have stopped trying to find a way out of this plan that is just too hard for someone like myself. Rather running toward it, compelled, I will do what needs to be done. Inspired to passionate persistance and willingess to lay old ways aside to forge a new and better, more resilient, less self-centered life. I don't know exactly how it happend. It has to be God.

All I know is I have been changed by love for an orphan and I will never again be the same.

No comments:

Blog Archive