Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My neck hurts

Because sometimes the day, especially the school day (like this school day for instance), can require constant corrections for the most obvious offenses in which they clearly know better and still choose to do worse, fight interventions, extreme whirlwind-like mess management, loud repetitive noises, streams of interruption which lead to virtually zero productivity, deliberate ignoring and severely selective hearing, and overall basic chaotic commotion. If it's not one child, it's another acting up, out, over, under, everywhere. This happens while I am working to prepare food to keep the blood sugar of masses steady (because that job never ends) and educate to train their minds to become responsible human beings able, willing, and eager to wholeheartedly fulfill their moral obligation to contribute to society at large (ahem). That means I must dole out consequences and/or deal with infractions all.morning.long. It causes me to grow weary long before the clock clicks p.m.

When the stress soars my neck hurts. Or my teeth ache from clenching. Lest anyone would mistakenly believe we have our act together.....

Oh my beloved little gifts,
I'm ready to put you back in your boxes now, tie you up neatly with bows, curl up on the couch under a blanket with a book and (quietly) call it a day. I'll open you up in the morning and we can try again tomorrow.
Love,
Your mama
*************************************
Side note: Do your kids ever learn spelling words that they are able to recite and write when in a spelling list, only to misspell them when they are actually writing actual sentences? Not that my brainiacs would ever do such a thing, I was just wondering if it was normal.....you know, for your kids.
************************************
Did anyone catch the Smith family on Oprah yesterday? [I did. I watched it in my *spare* time as I also watched the torrential downpour that was supposed to be outside drip where it did not belong (inside) through the skylight filling my big stock pot.] Whoa Willy. That's some lofty ambition. Making everything you touch better? Um, do we live on the same planet? I'm thinking that's a no. Mr. Smith, Can you stop by and touch my leaky roof? Much obliged sir.
*************************************
Guess who came to the kids' Awanas end of the year program? We were so, so happy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My Dear Tisha,
As I sit in my chair, for what seems like weeks now, I can only laugh, not at you but with you. With only 3 girls, not 7 kids, not long ago at my table doing the exact same things. Its funny now because those days have not yet blessed me again with Darius and Cynthia. Its so funny how I look back and miss even those days of schooling my girls. They grow up so quickly.

Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mom.

By the way even though I have literally nothing going on I did not catch Oprah yesterday what was it about?

Love yah,
Monica

Chris Noelle said...

my 11 year old mis-spells EVERYTHING!!!! and she gets straight A's........it's called spelling amnesia...look it up. ;)

Tisha said...

Dear Ms. Monica,
Oh my. Those are the words I need to hear. You have a way of giving me just that - exactly what I need! I too will miss these days. Yes, even these. They do grow up so quickly. I should not over react and let my neck get all sore like that. Ouch. Thanks for reminding me of what I often forget in the moment. This too shall pass....and I will miss it when it does.
Oprah had Will Smith and family on for an interview. Maybe some people would be really inspired by their lives and words. I just found the whole thing quite strange and unrealistic....

Chrissy, thanks for the spelling info. Because I was really wondering what ???? is going on here? Well not here, because my kids don't do that. But there....where OTHER PEOPLE'S kids do that sort of thing. Like at your house ☺

Ice Cream Lady said...

Yep the spelling thing happens. In the classroom and out. In fact I'm the same way. Give me a list and it's memorized, put it into context and I'm more caught up in the idea I'm trying to convey than my spelling and punctuation. Well, you know that, you read my blog!

Hope your neck feels better soon, and try to gape at your kids with open mouth, that should prevent the sore teeth from clenching! Hey, if you clench your glutes instead of your teeth you'll have buns of steel and no TMJ!

Alicia said...

Davis, a fairly intelligent child could not spell to save his life!!! In a Mother's day note, some of the mistakes included

colig-college
prises-princess
nars-nurse

I am a pretty good speller and it makes me cringe. His father says, "that's what spell check is for."

augustine said...

hello! this entry makes me remember my mom pulling her hair out, because all five of her home-schooled kids could not spell to save their lives. she would have us copy bible verses, and when we were done she would be amazed that we would spell the same words wrong over and over again (even when it was right in front of us)! sadly i have only gotten a bit better. i blame it on lisdexia. ;) i give my thanks to the inventor of the spell check, for i believe this quandry will follow me the rest of my days. i do hope your kids have better luck. thanks for sharing. :)

Blog Archive