Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Restoring Resourcefulness

Do you think it's kind of a lost art? The ability to make do with what we've got and find ways to manage our homes with a mindset of abundance and contentment with less stuff?

Although we women who stay home may not personally generate income, we can play a significant role in contributing to our family's finances by being careful with what we've got to work with. Through conserving and managing our resources thoughtfully, intentionally, as a good and faithful steward, we can be life givers to our husbands - the bread winners - by expressing thankfulness for his diligent effort to provide for our family's needs, and being satisfied when those needs are met.

Our family just completed our 4th $100 week for groceries to help pay off medical bills for M & F. During the course of the month we were able to save $400-$500 by being extremely vigilant with the grocery funds, watching closely what was being purchased at the store, buying essentials only, and thinking creatively of ways to eat hearty, healthy, and frugal meals. This savings went a long way toward those Children's Hospital expenses! And all 9 of us were all well fed.

We have such enormous excess literally at our fingertips every single day. It's woven into every aspect of our current American culture. We're just so filthy rich, and quite frankly, pretty blind to it. Excessive consumerism is normal to us it can be challenging to even really see. We want what we want when we want it, fast. And it's ALWAYS available. Day or night we can buy just about anything. One click shopping! Doing without a non-essential can be seen as unnecessary and even deprivation. Not so! Doing without a non-essential can be one of the most rewarding, liberating experiences we can encounter as we realize just how much we have and how little of it we actually need.

As our family grows, I for one am learning much about this valuable tool called resourcefulness. I am beginning to recognize that I can bless my husband and help alleviate some of the pressure he feels to provide by thoughtfully utilizing what we've got to work with and not constantly yearning for more. Of anything. It's very exciting to me! That's why I've used so many (!) as I've written this! (I even had to take a few out due to excessive over-punctuating which may be perceived as shouting!)

If I allow my gratitude to grow along with our family, being truly thankful for the things we do have, my contentment is a gift to him, to myself, and to our children. Because we all know, if momma can't be grateful for what she has, aint nobody going to learn to be grateful for what they have.

6 comments:

Anastasia Stephan said...

Amen Momma! So glad you shared this...finishing week 2 of $100 dollar living...onto week 3! What a trend you have started Tisha...you're so popular!:) Well, if to no one else, to this stay at home momma. I love living on God's provision and timing and not my own. It gets me closer to living for eternity, which definitely does NOT depend on this world or the things in it! See you soon sweet friend.

Alyssa said...

Since I only have a family of two...I'm thinking about trying maybe a...$60 week?? I'm not sure....lol! :)

Suzy-Q said...

WOW Tisha! This post was very convicting for me! I must admit, I am a spender and it is definately something I need to work on. Hearing you put it this way, that it is respectful and honoring to my husband and his hard work, that I be resourceful with the money that he makes, really truly spoke to my heart! I adore my husband and would never want him to feel that I am not respectful to him because I spend money on things I don't really need, but rather want! Thank you so very much for speaking from your heart!
(P.S. When I get back, I would love to sit down and have you help me to learn ways to be more resourceful with my money ;o)

Courtney said...

i love this...

Tisha said...

Thank you Suzan. I would love to get together! Just to hang out with you. We could talk money saving if you want :) Guess what? I secretly want to be a Pruitt. I love your family. Have a fun trip to sunny Cal!

dhuffer said...

Good post Tisha :)

Blog Archive