Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hypocricy

Me, speaking to Jayla: Did I ask you if you were interested in participating in the Christmas play at church?

Jayla: Yes.

Me: Did I also ask you if you would like to try out for a speaking part?

Jayla: Yes.

Me: What was your answer?

Jayla: That I would like to be in the play and have a speaking part.

Me: (much too ((loudly)) and emphatically for dramatic effect, waving my hands around, acting like a total know it all who would never, ever do such outrageous things herself): Then why are you complaining about having to learn your lines!? You said you wanted to do this, so I am making the effort to get you where you need to go when you  need to be there to participate, (NOT EASY WITH A BOATLOAD OF CHILDREN IN TOW!) and you are moaning and groaning?! (The nerve!) It's reminding me of when you were thrilled about the idea of getting a guinea pig, until you had one and needed to begin regularly cleaning his cage.....(Way to go mom! Toss in a nice little throw back to the past, to really drive the point home.)

*This is when I began lecturing her about the importance of follow through. I'll spare you that whole bit. Trust me, it was rich.*

Jayla: (Feeling quite unnecessarily consumed with guilt heaped upon her by her mother convicted,) I won't complain anymore.

Me: (Smugly, because I have made my point so forcefully eloquently and berated enlightened my sweet daughter to the error of my her ways.) Great, thank you.

And, I have to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. Because the hypocrisy just flows freely. Right out of my mouth.

As I utter the words to my girl, "teaching" her about how to engage in responsibility and think through the costs, I become deeply convicted. Isn't this exactly what I have done? What I often do? Take something on - wholeheartedly (at the time when it seemed like such a good idea) - then find myself disgruntled, overwhelmed, discouraged, dismayed, when the going gets tough and it's time to step up and do the hard work day after day? Don't I wish things were easier too? That I had less inconveniences to manage? Don't I complain in the very same way about what is difficult for me?
Yes. I do.

On a larger scale - where the commitment to my decisions is greater, more important, where a great deal hangs in the balance - I am a lot like my daughter.

Engaging ourselves in truly worthwhile activity is rarely easy.
The rewards of accomplishment and progress and breakthrough and gratitude for earning something truly valuable through exertion, and genuine satisfaction to the soul, are reserved for the faithful.

Thank you Jayla for the lesson.

7 comments:

Beckysblog said...

I think my middle name might actually be hypocricy!

Courtney said...

and thank you, tisha, for the lesson!

Jodie said...

Gulp

Cassie said...

uuummmm...nothing to do with this post BUT have i mentioned that i can't wait for tomorrow??
:)

Holly said...

yes, thank you Jayla..and Tisha.

ouch.

Anonymous said...

Resonating!!!

--jen

Unknown said...

oh. great post! i can so relate!
great to meet you, btw! :)

Blog Archive