Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A story for the kids


Your dad and I shopped together for my engagement and wedding ring.
We wound up purchasing a set from a pawn shop.
(Just because their union didn't work out, didn't mean ours wouldn't.....)
We were young and broke college students - so we put it on layaway.
(Are you wondering what layaway is? Ask me, ok?)
Both of us made payments as we could.
(We were working minimum wage at the same sporting goods store.)
On his 22nd birthday he made the final payment and surprised me with it.
(Wrapped up with a handmade card. Did you know your dad is a great artist? He is!
He doesn't have much chance to use that skill anymore. Maybe one day he will.)
I screamed so loud in his ear as I jumped up to hug him, he may or may not have sustained permanent hearing loss.
(It was at that time he learned just how excitable his brand new fiance truly was.)
Now, you will rarely ever see me wear the ring.
The prongs get caught on things and it scratches you guys, so it's not really comfortable.
(These are hard working hands you know!)
In its place, I have a couple of very small rings he bought me as a gift after the births of Tyden anc Clover.
Still, I cherish the memories attached to that hard earned, second hand,
joint effort piece of jewelry and recall them fondly.
Your daddy is an exceptional man.
(You girls should look for someone who treats you as kindly as he treats me, alright?)
I had no idea what I was getting into.
But I'm so glad I did.

We also shopped together for wedding dresses.
But that's another story....
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Courtney said...

what fun to read! your kids will LOVE this one day!

Holly said...

precious.

Cassie said...

aaawwwwww.....fun.
love that story.
write that stuff more often. :)
(not that i don't love your other stuff. cuz i do. that was just fun and different. and unexpected. i like that when opening blogs.)

Blog Archive