Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Some people are Soccer Moms.

I, on the other hand, am a Stalker Mom.
Our dinner Saturday night was G R E A T. We sat at a table with 2 couples, one of which has 10 children, the other, 8. They both have kids that are in their 20's. Both families have home schooled all of their children throughout their entire education. Extremely informative. It was very nice (and rare) to be the couple in the group with the least amount of kids. I loved it and gleaned every single bit of knowledge I could from them. They were assaulted with questions about negotiating life with a large family, and about home schooling. They kindly and openly answered every one.

Now, on to the stalker part. The Kids By the Dozen mom I spoke of earlier was there. They gave their (incredible) presentation, then she grabbed her baby and left the room as the other presenters began their part. I saw my chance. I had a lot in common with her. She had a nursing baby, I had a nursing baby. She needed to change her baby, I needed to change my baby. She needed to feed her baby, I needed to feed my baby. Hmmm...convenient, I thought to myself. So, I did what any reasonable person would do, I stalked her. How often does a person like me have access to a mom that has 14 children, and all her wisdom? Not often! I took my chance and ran with it. We chatted. I told her what a wonderful ministry their family is. Trying not to be too obviously star-struck, I asked her a few questions, in my casual..."Hey, how ya doin? I'm cool, yep got my nursing daughter that needs fed also so I'll just sit here with you," stalker mom kind of way. Her daughter called while we were visiting. She told me "my thirteen year old has an earache." I said, oh? That's too bad. (All the while thinking in my mind, your 13 year old, Lydia? Cuz, I like know her. I have watched your show approximately 150 times. I can name all your kids, which may seem kind of weird and my husband pointed out to me it was stalker-ish, but I don't care cuz I think you're cool.) She shared some interesting tidbits of large family living with me.
So, there you have it. I freely admit I am a stalker mom and I accept it about myself.
Large families are interesting and those parents have to be selfless and highly service oriented to raise that many children, two traits that are not always in abundance in our culture. It was an honor to spend time with her and it is a memory I will cherish forever. And no, I did not ask if I could go visit their house, even though I wanted to : )

1 comment:

Tisha said...

To my "friend" you know who you are:
Embarassed to know me? Just because I'm a stalker? I didn't do anything illegal. Sometimes one has to make their own opportunities in life, you know. Take the bull by the horns. Be a little assertive.
There is no shame in my game. I am a proud stalker, afterall, I did openly share it on this blog : )
Here's a shout out to all my stalker (the ones who don't engage in illegal behavior) peeps! Oh yeah. Stalker Moms rule.

Blog Archive