Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back when....

My friend just sent me this picture from a playgroup when we only had J and O. I warned her before she passed it along that she better not to get me going with the waterworks by bringing to mind when my 2 biggest babes were wee small. I've been having a hard enough time with J's recent birthday. Oddly enough though, as I look at it, I don't feel sad.
Go figure.
At that time, I really thought life was hard. I struggled more as a mom and as a wife than I do now. I wasn't as thankful as I've learned to become over time. I wanted for things I couldn't manage to find or attain. I didn't appreciate myself, my children, or my husband the way I do now. The woman in that picture is a different person than the one I am today...with a few more lines on my face, a few more pounds on my thighs, a few more gray hairs on my head, a bit more perspective about what is truly important in this life, and a much deeper awareness that I should fall down on my knees in gratitude to count my bountiful blessings everyday as a woman who is wealthy beyond measure, and finally old enough to realize it.
Aging really is a beautiful thing.

3 comments:

Holly said...

so true, well put.

Courtney said...

amen. i feel the SAME way! (of course i do...you ALWAYS speak my heart! :-))

Lisa Stucky said...

age = wisdom, my friend. and you are wise beyond your years, my friend!

Blog Archive