Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

They call it The Gap

And it's always supposedly widening.
The space between the rich and the poor.

While I was cleaning out and vacuuming the van moments ago, it hit me. Again. Every quiet moment I have, it creeps up in my thoughts, causes my eyes to burn hot, hot, hot, my heart so, so heavy.

This 'gap' that separates, categorizes.
It segregates those who are welcoming children from those who are giving them up.
Those who can plenteously provide from those lack basic essentials.
Those who have nearly limitless opportunity from those who are forced to make decisions out of complete desperation.
Those who have medical intervention from those who are left to needlessly die.
Those who are abounding with everything good this life has to offer and those who are destitute.

Can you imagine turning over your child to someone else to raise? Your baby?
Because you are poor and they are wealthy.
Because they have what you do not.
Because they can offer what you only wish you could.

To me, this seems more like a gigantic, gaping hole. An unimaginable chasm. The kind you can't handle looking into without flinching and drawing back. A cruel, massive divide that separates us from them.

As I prepare to pick up their children, I can not stop thinking about them and this horrific gap between us.

1 comment:

Holly said...

gulp

Blog Archive