Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Backcountry Wilderness 1/2 Marathon

Did you catch that name!? Backcountry Wilderness 1/2 Marathon. Whoah honey - they meant it. I've never participated in such a thing before, so I had nothing to compare to. But my friends, {below} have a great deal of racing and half marathon experience under their collective belts, and they say this one was brutal. It was definitely backcountryish and wildernesslike - with many, many, many large and small hills and  a several mile stretch of hiking/mountain biking type trails.
The weather was actually beautiful. {Hallelujah!} We were a bit concerned reading the 17 degree thermostat on the car on the way to Denver, but it warmed up nicely and was chilly, and slightly windy, but overall pretty comfortable for a long run.

Before the race: Myself, Sandy, Susan, Laura, Kristi, Kim, and Geni
My running buddy and I. She has run 40-50 races and does triathlons! Geni is awesome and so, so much fun. I made up my mind to try to stay with her. (She hasn't been training recently, otherwise I would have been eating her dust!)
Laura's husband took some pictures.

I finished in 2 hrs. 42 minutes. Which, made me very happy because I did absolutely zero preparation and running isn't really my thing.
Unfortunately, I think I got dehydrated (did I mention my complete lack of training and that I take 2-3 mile strolls for my "exercise"? Oh, and they ran out of water to hand out to the runners!) because I became super nauseous and sick afterward. Even missed going out last night with the ladies to the Cheesecake Factory and stayed at the Marriot by myself with the porcelain bowl and a generous dose self pity as my only companions.
They kindly stopped by the restaurant on the way home today so I could pick up some delectable slices of cheesecake to bring home to Bobby and the Deutschlets. My family gave me such a warm welcome.
Dad did awesome with the kids and the house and it is fantastic to be reunited.

I vow to never even utter the words "half marathon" again in my life. ☺
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Courtney said...

ha! wow...i'm sorry to say i'm smiling. it's just...such an experience, right?? so proud of you!

Chris Noelle said...

Excuse me? They ran out of water? who was the Backcountry coordinator for this race???>> cuz I need to have a word with them!!!! They should NOT be running out of water! uhg. sorry. but YAY you did the race and looked so happy and chic. :)
xoxo

HollyMarie said...

You are insane. But you already know that. Now you're my hero too. :)

Jodie said...

Congrats on the race. Sorry about the technicolor yawn.

Ran out of water?!?!?! That's absurd.

Holly said...

ran out of water!???
there's a metaphor in there somewhere, I just know it.

and wow...so proud of you!

Blog Archive