Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Thursday, July 12, 2012

How do you spell D E L I C I O U S?

It goes a little something like this: chocolate syrup. I'm not sure how long it's been since I've bought Hershey's syrup. A while. It's that evil high fructose corn syrup's fault, I tell you. It's a dilemma I'm in. My family is counting on me to serve them up a healthy dose of scrumptiousness each and every blessed day. Still, I just can't bring myself to douse hfcs all over my sweet thang's ice cream.

To soothe my (highly over active) conscience while permitting the Deutsch people to enjoy life that includes a (hopefully significant) yummy factor, I had been using an organic alternative that was incredibly hard to pour (making it very low calorie, due to the sad fact that I could.not.get.any.out.of.the.bottle.) It also required a second mortgage on the house to pay for it.

So, you can imagine my elation to discover a preservative free, simple, cost effective chocolate syrup! It's really, really good, super chocolatey, completely adaptable to your taste, and stores for quite some time in the fridge, maybe a month or so.
Would you like to try it? If so, here's how you do it:
1 cup water
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Combine water and cocoa powder. It will be lumpy at first.
Whisk until smooth.
Add sugar.
Over med high heat, bring to a boil and CONTINUOUSLY stir until thickened to desired consistency. (Or, get one of your beloved minions to do it for you while another peels grapes and feeds them to you allowing two free hands for the one fanning you with a palm leaf.)
Anywhere between 5-10 minutes the syrup will start to get thick, and your mouth will start to water...
Add the salt. You can measure it, or for a risky walk on the wild side, just sprinkle it from the container.
Pour in that vanilla with reckless abandon. Or measure it. And it's done! It will thicken a bit upon standing.
Serve it up to your cutest family members. For breakfast. They will love you forever. And compliment your labor of love with their shouts proclaiming that "it tastes JUST LIKE store bought syrup!" And that's when you know you've got it right. Move on over Hershey. ☺

3 comments:

Lindy said...

We'll be over at 8 tomorrow morning for our breakfast ice cream. My kids would never want to come home!!

By syrup (in the recipe) do you mean corn syrup? I'm going to try this for sure!

Tisha said...

Ah! I'm so glad you asked!! It was a typo, I meant sugar. 1 cup sugar. Not syrup. :-) Thank you!!
Come on over for breakfast!! Greggs are ALWAYS welcome!

Jennifer Isaac said...

Making it right now!! : )

Blog Archive