Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Monday, February 11, 2013

Tis' the Season

Where sniffles abound!

Most of our kids' immune systems are working overtime right now fighting some measure of illness. Since I've been reading so much about the wondrous health restoring benefits of both ginger and cayenne pepper, and everyone knows honey and lemon are great for colds, this is currently my favorite elixir to soothe sore throats and coughs. Make it like a tea and your poor sickly children will sip it down all day long, helping them take in tons of fluids! Mix hot water, lemon juice, honey, ginger, a sprinkle of cayenne and wala! An instant cold remedy is born. Or a placebo that simply tricks our sad brain cells clouded with sickness. Hey, whatever works...

I've been using this all winter long and positively swear by it! I place a few drops on a spoon and take it like medicine several x/day. So far, so good! Even when the kids succumb to tiny, intrusive, altogether unwelcome bugs, I've been steering clear. Yipee!

Any immune boosting tips that have been helping you or your family this year? I am always looking for techniques to add to my repertoire.

2 comments:

Aja said...

ooh, Totally interested in your elixir! What kind of tea do you use? Do you measure the other ingredients or just kind of wing it? We have been trying to "eat clean" and I have been interested in trying to use natural remedies. We have been drinking orange juice and blueberry smoothies each night and that has helped but I have been tired the last 2 weeks and I am wondering if I am fighting something off.

Tisha said...

Hi Aja, I LOVE your name by the way!!!
When I make this, I don't use any tea, just the hot water, honey, lemon, ginger and cayenne. It's really good like that! Small slices or grated bits of fresh ginger are better, but I didn't have any for the photo, nor did I have any real lemons at the time. : )

We are BIG smoothie fans too! Most recently I've been making them with LOTS of SPINACH!! Added along with any combo of berries, bananas, oj, or milk, my kids can't even tell. They GUZZLE it down. Yipee! Super good for boosting vitimin and mineral intake.

Thank you for reading and for your comment! : )

Blog Archive