Family photo 2013

Family photo 2013

Thursday, November 21, 2013

More $ and Other Inconsequential Bits of Peculiar Randomness

Are you tired of hearing from me yet? Because I am. That's why this will be my last post for (at least) a week. I need a vacation. From myself. Now, don't hooray too loud (!) You'll go and hurt my feelings.

Oddly enough, it is far easier for me to spill the contents of my brain out all over the world wide web during the school year than in the summer. (Uh, have you noticed?) I spend much of most mornings sitting, making myself available to answer questions and help as needed while the kids do their individual school work (math, language arts, map books, writing books). Once they are finished with that we all do history and geography, literature, spelling tests, writing prompts, and any other odd fragments of information I suddenly become adamantly convinced they must know or The Real World will chew them up and spew them out like sorely under-educated pieces of slug meat, causing me to look really, really bad.

Stryder and I as we sit in the playroom (near the fire) for school.
Last night's dinner - a rare treat for my honey love. Happens about once a year. French dip sandwiches with melted provolone, au jus, veggies and chips.
Then we just had to try the 'recipe' on the chip bag. Melted chocolate chips on potato chips. I know. I made the same face when I read it. But I put my scowl away and replaced it with pleasantly surprisedness (Yes! That is totes a word! In my imaginary world. Where toes is also a valid word.) It's startlingly salty sugary delicious, if you are the kind of person who likes a simultaneous combination of savory and sweet, which I do. Though, I will warn you, my husband disagrees that they are scrumptious.
But would you trust a bald guy who is literally bursting out of his 10 year old son's shirt just to get a laugh from the 12 & under crowd? Nope. I didn't think so...
One of my biggest, hugest $ saving tips I forgot to mention yesterday is NEVER, not ever leaving the house without a drink in hand. I take coffee in the morning, hot or cold tea with lemon in the afternoon, or even just lemon water with ice. This keeps me from being tempted to stop at Starbucks or Sonic for a little refreshment every.blessed.day. (which I used to do all the time, but quit several years ago when I saw how much I was spending and have never looked back) saving me bundles of cash to buy other stuff that lasts longer than a minute. Every woman knows, putting it in a pretty cup is key.
Now tell me that doesn't closely enough resemble a Starbucks cup! You'll think you're drinking straight from the freaky, green and white twin tailed mermaid's lair, which is important!
If I'm running out the door in a hurry, I will even resort to just grabbing this to take along.
Or this...
I do realize not everyone's guitar strums to the tune of saving cash. Trust me, I totes get that. ;) We all like to taste a bit of the good life, as we should! Yet the reality is most of us have to prioritize and make thoughtful choices about when and where we will indulge. Speaking for us, I can say we certainly do plenty of splurging. Mostly in the form of home remodel/upgrade projects that tend to suck up wads of cash the way my beloved children tend to suck up every last ounce of my beloved patience.

Life is remarkably short and it is to be enjoyed, for sure. Unless you are independently wealthy, it's all about deciding what type of savoring tickles your jolly and paying the piper accordingly, yes? Then, we can sink down into our tremendous privilege and breathe big sighs of contentment, confident we have chosen well....

Since I won't be around here next week, happy happy happy Thanksgiving. I am so thankful you are willing to read, so I am not forced to do all this rambling to no one at all! Truly. Thank you.

No comments:

Blog Archive